Sukhna Lake is located in the planned city of Chandigarh. It is one of the most prominent places visited by both tourist and locals. It is a manmade lake located at the foothills of Shivalik Mountains.
Stretching across 3 km this beautiful lake is one of the best places for joggers, fitness freaks and cyclists. The sunrise at Sukhna Lake is one of the best views in the entire city. It is best for picnics, watching the migratory birds like Cranes and boating in the lake.
Take a break and unwind at this beautiful lake at sunset, play golf in the golf course nearby or just try various street foods available.
Best time to visit Sukhna Lake
Oct to April is the best time to visit this lake. The sunrise and sunset should not be missed.
The lake is open to the public from 5 am to 9 pm
There are no entry fees.
The history behind the Sukhna Lake
Sukhna Lake was made in 1958 by damming the Sukhna Choe from Shivalik Mountains. It was created by Le Corbusier and chief engineer P L Verma. Earlier it was known as Chakraborty Lake.
Things to do at Sukhna Lake
- Enjoy the sunrise, the sun would seem emerging out of the lake.
- Go for jogging, cycling and do some yoga at the lake.
- You can do boating in the lake. It is available from 9 am to 6 pm. Boating costs around Rs 100 per person. The boats are 2 and 4 seaters. Shikara rides like Kashmir are also available.
- Enjoy camel rides by the lake.
- Try various street foods near the lake. You can eat at the CITCO Cafeteria. It has both indoor and outdoor seating. Spend time with your friends and family here.
- Buy souvenirs from the local shops near to the lake.
- Many other water sports like Rowing, Cruise ride and Kayaking are also available.
- You can find many painters sitting by the lake, get yourself portrayed.
- The bull ride is also available. Hold on to the horns and enjoy your ride.
- Visit the Golf course and learn how to play golf.
- Make time to visit the Garden of Silence and Sukhna Water Regulator dam.
- Take awesome scenic photographs and selfies.
Pointers for your trip
- Please use dustbins, don’t litter around the lake.
- While boating makes sure to wear a life jacket.
- Don’t feed the birds.
- Be careful at the pier of the lake you might fall into the lake.
- Don’t go for swimming.
I hope the above information gives you an overall idea of the place and you decide to visit this lake. Do try out all the things I have mentioned. Take amazing selfies and share your experience with me.