When you are planning to visit Punjab, the places that pop up in your head are Amritsar and Wagha Border. The Golden Temple of Amritsar is world-famous, its beauty is like no other and the warmth and positivity of the place with calm your soul like no other.
To witness the patriotism of Indians, at its height the best place to visit is Wagha Border, the Indian and Pakistani army show the grandeur of their nations to the beats of the drum. Both the Golden Temple and the Wagha Border can be covered in one day.
How to reach Amritsar?
Amritsar has its own airport, just 11km away from the city centre.
Amritsar is well connected by train from all over India. A train journey from Delhi takes about 6 hours.
Amritsar is very well connected by bus from Delhi, Chandigarh, Jammu etc. The roads are good so you can have a comfortable journey.
Best time to visit Amritsar
November to March is the best time to visit Amritsar as the weather is pleasant and ideal for sightseeing. The weather in winters can be a bit harsh so pack heavy woollens and warmers.
One day Itinerary for Golden Temple of Amritsar and Wagha Border
First, you should visit the Golden temple early in the morning and keep the afternoon for Wagha Border as the Wagha-Attari Border ceremony takes places at 4 pm.
Golden Temple Amritsar
Location: Golden Temple Rd, Atta Mandi, Katra Ahluwalia, Amritsar, Punjab 143006
Timings: 4 am to 11 pm
No entry fees
If you start early in the morning, you can avoid the morning rush and pay your respects at the Gurudwara. The temple is the undisputed centre of Sikhism around the world. People of all caste, creed, gender and religion are allowed into the temple.
Tips for visiting the Golden Temple
1. Make sure to remove your shoes before entering the temple.
2. Wash your legs at the pond in front of the temple.
3. Always cover your head with scarves for girls and turban or handkerchiefs for boys.
4. Dress decently, shorts and skirts are not allowed.
5. Stand in the line with patience.
6. Don’t consume alcohol or drugs.
Timings: In winter the ceremony commences at 4.30 pm and in summers at 5.30 pm.
An auto-rickshaw from Amritsar to Wagha Border would cost around Rs 500. The distance from Amritsar to Wagha is around 30km and It takes around an hour to reach.
Start from Amritsar around 2 pm, so that you are in time for the ceremony. It gets very crowded and if you reach late you will find it hard to get good seats.
Also read: My experience at Wagha Border
Tips for visiting Wagha Border
1. Reach 1 hour before the ceremony to get good seats.
2. Foreigners must show their passport to access the special seating area reserved for foreigners.
3. Bags are not allowed inside, better to leave them at the hotel else you can keep it in the lockers present at the roadside.
4. Cellphone signals are blocked.
5. Beware of pickpocketers.
Also read: Wagha Border Itinerary
Other things to do at Amritsar
1. Try the local cuisines in the dhabas, non-vegetarian food is a must along with beer is an awesome combination.
2. Go shopping at the local market, but phulkari dupattas, Punjabi juttis etc.
3. Also visit Jallianwala Bagh, the summer palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh etc.
I hope the above information helps you to enjoy your stay in the colourful city of Amritsar. Feel free to reach out in case of any queries. For budget travellers, Amritsar is a good place to be, you can get free meals at the Langar of Golden Temple. Also, there are many hostels to stay in. You can manage all your expenses at just Rs 1500.