Do you know Amazon Rainforest itself generates more than 20% of the world’s oxygen and has more than 10% of the world’s diversity?
This year there has been a 93 percent surge in wildfires at Amazon. What is the reason? Why is nobody paying attention to it? What are the side effects? Who is going to suffer? When will the fire stop?
I am sure a lot of questions are going on through your mind. This year almost 73,000 fires have been recorded in Amazon which is double of the fires recorded last year. And what’s worse is us, humans are responsible for this. People are cutting forests to get land for farming and cattle ranching and the government of Brazil is sitting like ducks, doing nothing.
The Amazon is on fire and we are responsible for it.
Here are a few things that we can do from our side to save the Amazons. How to prevent forest fires is the major question here.
- Never leave a fire unattended, may it be a cigarette butt or camping in the forest always make sure fire is completely extinguished before leaving the place.
- Call the local fire department or park service if you see uncontrolled fire anywhere.
- Do not burn the forests to get land for farming and cattle ranching. The government should ensure to enforce strict laws regarding this.
- Timber equipment should be used properly, general power lines should be properly placed in order to avoid fire. If you are using a power saw, make sure to carry fire extinguisher too.
- Firecrackers should not be set in forest areas.
- If you are burning debris make sure to remove any flammable material from them.
It is our duty to the Mother Earth to protect her, who has given us such a wonderful place to live in, beautiful landscape, mesmerizing views to wake up to and made our lives meaningful. Please follow these steps next time you go camping in the wild. Spread awareness among your friends and family to save Amazon rainforest.